Saturday, September 29, 2007

Welcome from Nancy G. Brinker

Welcome to the 2007 Susan G. Komen for the Cure Global Advocate Summit Blog. Breast cancer advocates from around the world will share their experiences with you as they strategize with more than 50 delegates from around the globe on how to eradicate this devastating disease.

Twenty-five years ago, when I promised my sister, Susan, to do everything in my power to end breast cancer forever, I had no idea where that promise would lead. The global breast cancer movement has made incredible strides since then and our delegates are collaborating for success in their communities and indeed, their countries. We strive to raise awareness, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. Above all, we seek to save lives. Our work cannot exist in a vacuum. We can and must work together if we are to be successful.

It gives me great pleasure to return to Hungary and witness the power of the promise for women all over the world. I look forward to connecting with people whose lives have been forever touched by a breast cancer diagnosis. I want to know what approaches are working in their countries, especially in places where awareness and treatment are nearly non-existent. Most of all, I anticipate that the friendships built at this Summit will last a lifetime so that we can continue our efforts toward a world without breast cancer.